Normally when I write this, I am generally pissed about something. But, not today.
Nope. I have been extremely happy the last few days from an email I happened to receive. I feel so gushy and mushy inside.
Before you leave, I will rant about something later on here–I promise. First, I would like for you to do me a favor. Click on the link to the right of this column and check out Deborah Foreman’s site. If you have no idea who Deborah Foreman is, you are either a bit brain damaged or might have been in a coma or have not read any of these prior columns. If it is the latter, go to the archive and find out about Deborah or, better yet, just go to her site and find out exactly who she is.
Why am I happy? Because I received an email from Deborah. Something she did not have to do, obviously, but she took the time to send something, for which I am eternally grateful. Do I sound like some psycho fan now, or what?
We do receive other emails, of course, and try to reply to each and every one. But this was DEBORAH FOREMAN!!! Do you understand the meaning of that?
Anyway, thank you very much, Deborah. Your email meant a lot to us!!!
Now, we really, really have to start a script for our movie. Sheesh, all the hard work she is making us do. But, damnit, it’s worth it! Okay, enough fawning over Deborah. Onto today’s topic, guilty pleasures in music.
I grew up listening to groups like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, etc, etc. I listened to rock/heavy metal, and thought all other music sucked. Disco sucked. “Pop” music sucked. Country sucked, and it still does.
I still listen to the same genre of music today. However, there are some things in my collection that I am almost embarrassed to admit I have. So, for all our lucky fans out there, I am going to have 2 lists of our guilty music pleasures.
5) “Saturday Night Fever” Soundtrack–Hey, the Bee Gee’s might have sucked back then, but they don’t on this album now.
4) Men Without Hats, “Safety Dance”–What can I say? The song grows on you. Might as well include Animotion, “Obsession” with this one, too.
3) Toto, “The Seventh One”–I don’t know why I like this album.
2) George Michael, “Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1”–A great album, to me.
1) ABBA, “Gold”–Hated ABBA when I was growing up. Now I don’t. I also like Frida’s minor solo hit, “I Know There’s Something Going On”.
There is one group I will never like, Katrina and The Waves. I had the displeasure of meeting her over in England at a concert and she was quite rude and stuck up, so I put the curse of the one hit wonders on them. And it worked. SO THERE, KATRINA!!!!!
Bob grew up listening to Disney music, and still does to this day. Here are some of his guilty pleasures.
5) “I don’t have any guilty pleasures. I still only listen to Disney music.”
4) “Really. I only listen to Disney music. It is uplifting.”
3) “Look, I am not shitting you. Disney music has taught me good citizenship and good morals.”
2) “Look, John, stop bugging with with your fucking list shit.”
1) “FINE! I listen to GWAR!! Okay??!! I listen to GWAR and Disney. Now, get the fuck away from me.”
As you can see, Bob was really not that helpful. Sorry.
I just had an idea!! We will now be known as “Weirdcrap.go.cc: The Site that Deborah Foreman Visited.” I wonder if we can trademark that?
COMING UP: Something about people that we have seen on tv that we don’t know but their actions really annoy us so we will make fun of them for cheap thrills.
Read a new Lunatic Ravings every Saturday!